Friday, July 3, 2009

One Guitar, No Vocals

3 July 2009 - Portland, Maine, USA.

It's been raining in Maine for like 21 days so I got to use my little red umbrella that I carried with me everyday for three years in London (but didn't need
every day). Wandered around downtown Portland a bit and stumbled upon a 5-piece bluegrass band doing an acoustic jam session in a music store... [bxA]

...the town is splattered with posters for an upcoming Leo Kottke show, which reminds me of my whole life since he was a regular at Rockefeller's (where I worked for years in the 90s) and I listened to One Guitar, No Vocals regularly during my three months on sailboats this year. There's a song on that album called Snorkel, which reminds me of swimming all the way around North Button island in the Andamans.

...at Yes Books I stumbled across an old copy of "A Franz Kafka Miscellany" which didn't interest me until I found nestled in the pages a very yellowed news clipping headlined 'Kafka on Picasso' that went like this:

"He is a willful distortionist," I said.

"I do not think so," said Kafka. "He only registers the deformities which have not yet penetrated our consciousness. Art is a mirror, which goes 'fast', like a watch - sometimes."

-from "Conversations with Kafka" by Gustav Ganouch

3 comments:

fuzz said...

That sounds like a perfect rainy day! I hope there was also good coffee involved.

Anonymous said...

Ali! I just remember you worked at Rockerfellers when you metioned it. Dennis

Anonymous said...

From Dennis,I hope you dont mind me reading your blogs.GOD i love this stuff.Thanks for sharing