Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Peaceful Election Results


8 June 2009 - Beirut, Lebanon. Sporting Beach Club

Lebanon made it through the elections unscathed...and so did I.

I spent the day with some friends at one of the beach clubs along the Corniche. Just before sunset, I was walking up the hill back to Hamra, and heard the powpowpow of explosives. "That's fireworks, right?" I asked my friend. He assured me seriously, "always assume they're fireworks" then followed with almost a hint of humour, "just don't walk toward them." He wasn't exactly joking. After all, this is Lebanon.

5 comments:

wheelo said...

i felt very close to you today, ali. my dad took me for a drive to get me out of the house. i'm just like a little, old invalid now :) and we were down hillcroft by 59...and we passed a lebanese restaurant...and i said. i feel just like ali :) it is kind of a dodgy area you know..heehee.

Ali said...

nikki, you are not an invalid! you are recovering from brain surgery and you are on the mend. give it time, you'll feel young again very very soon. you should have stopped for Lebanese food! wow...hillcroft and 59...haven't been there in ages. do you and your dad still eat crepes in midtown?

Ali said...

hey...my profile pic posts when i comment? it reminds me of our, um, political blog...we were so obsessed.

Missy said...

I miss our political blog! I think a general rule of life is to never walk toward exploding fireworks or the sound of them - regardless of where you are! Nikki, relax and and enjoy your "sabbatical" whiel you can. You'll be back to the daily grind before you know it! I think I may update my profile pic too.

Ali said...

don't update your pic! i think you look really good in that one;) i'd update mine but i painstakingly chose the WORST picture ever...

okay, i'm up for reviving My Feminist Rant if y'all are...but we should start a new one...new name.