Friday, May 29, 2009

Wandering & Wondering

29 May 2009 - Beirut, Lebanon

I've been spending most of my time in Hamra. Lots going on. The days fly by. Alyssa spends most of her time at the beach...but Joseph has been getting us together on a fairly regular basis. Alyssa and I reunited with William, another guy we met our first time here - he hosted our favorite adventure that first time in Beirut (so he's largely to blame for us coming back). I wrote pages about that adventure, maybe one day I'll post it. Meanwhile, Joseph (our third musketeer) has been showing us the country...and Alyssa deemed our day in the Cedars to be the best day of the trip. It was amazing...and outrageously fun. Joseph is completely insane. I'm uploading photos but I took like 300.

I do my usual loner wandering stuff...roaming streets and sitting in coffee shops, talking to strangers about life and the elections...am now in search of a jazz club. Have been writing a ton about everything...but way too much to post....and I'm not into the blog given the situation with Nikki. I've resolved to at least post the photo albums, so that's what I've done today.

Meanwhile, I'm making my way through the ordeal with Nikki's brain aneurysm. Her "procedure" is scheduled for Monday...but not sure yet if it will be brain surgery or an alternative procedure. I talk to her, well, "chat" with her on yahoo, as often as humanly possible...which means I'm darting into icafes on a regular basis. I'm astonished by how well she's managing the complicated web of medical issues...so many different doctors and prognoses and options and details details details. In addition to the medical madness, Nikki's working full time and just closed on a house so she's moving on Saturday and possibly having brain surgery on Monday. Only Nikki would do this...but I know from history that she has super powers when it comes to moving house. Sounds like everyone under the sun will be helping her on move day, including my entire family (thanks, y'all, for taking care of Nikki while I can't be there).

I got to talk to my sister the other day for the first time since January - 2.5 hours on Skype at a pretty decent icafe with a good connection. I had known I missed her, but man...it was so great to hang on the phone with her! It reminds me how years ago our cousin Rob asked us how often Missy & I talk to each other...and he still mentions it every time we see him.

Okay, so...that's what's going on with me. Alyssa's having a lot of fun on her own too...I'll see if I can get her to post her version of things. She's such a hilarious girl.

Everyone, please do your thing for Nikki on Monday - pray, meditate, think good thoughts, toss coins in wishing wells...whatever you can do.

1 comments:

zakajne said...

Ali:

I really enjoy your thoughts on Beirut...

I love that city and your writings remind me of days I wandered around Hamra...

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieBDk13QEo4&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/thewinetrip