Monday, November 29, 2010

The Office

The Office, live streaming from Netflix.


28 November 2010 - Houston, Texas

I had never seen the American version of ‘The Office’ until about a month ago, so that’s what I’ve been doing: watching every episode starting from Season 1, Episode 1. It is hilarious.

During the early days of my London Life, [bxA] I rented the British version of ‘The Office’. I’ll never forget sitting in my tiny 6th floor flat near Marylebone Station watching the first episode. I laughed until I cried, because that had become my life.

Eventually the laughter stopped and I just cried…

..because that had become my life.

* * *

Speaking of my London life, last week I celebrated Thanksgiving with my family for the first time in five years. Driving home afterward, I recounted where I was on each of those Thanksgivings that I missed.

Nov'09 - Sirius motoring up to anchor at Ko Pi Pi, Thailand.

Last year I was on a sailboat en route from Langkawi, Malaysia to Phuket. The previous two years I celebrated makeshift T-days in South Kensington with my London BFF. It took me a while to remember how I spent my very first Thanksgiving across the pond.

It was just another workday in the UK so I was at the office. My American friend Kirstan and I made last minute reservations to eat the turkey dinner on offer at the Hard Rock Cafe .


I didn't remember much else so I went to my journal.

According to the journal, later that night I called Houston and my family passed the phone around the dinner table. My four year old nephew told me about Buzz Lightyear and Spiderman. I told my brother-in-law that during dinner at the Hard Rock everyone sang aloud when the sound system played 'Living On a Prayer' by Bon Jovi.


Over the next two years, I learned that any time a London pub gets really loud and crowded, eventually 'Living On a Prayer' comes on and everyone sings at the top of their lungs.

Later in my journal I wrote a long whinging paragraph about work, which made me laugh hysterically last Thursday, but I can assure you I wasn’t laughing when I wrote it.

At the end of my rant about intolerable life at the office, I said I wanted to quit my job and drive across the US.


Huh???

I have no recollection of wanting to drive across the US. My only guess is that back then I was afraid of traveling alone? Thought I’d be more comfortable in the US? Who knows.

Aug'09 - Roadtrip from Lattakia, Syria to Beirut, Lebanon.

The last line in that journal entry was, “Do I dare?”

2 comments:

Nad said...

So... the question is: To go back OR not to go back to an OFFICE environment!!!!

Nad said...

That's the beauty of keeping a journal, the "Huh???" moments!

The new you meets the old you: the new you who DID dare to travel around the world vs. the old you who thought traveling inside the US is too dary.

Not only that, but remember that you inspired other people to leave "the office" and choose another path!

Sometimes when people are in the office, they think that this is life.
But there is life outside the office.